The winner of NAIOP Chicago’s Contractor of the Year award two years in a row, McShane Construction Company has built a reputation as a leader in the construction of high-quality industrial, multi-family, and commercial facilities. Ranked by ENR among the Top Contractors in the nation, McShane builds success by growing and developing employee careers.
A culture of entrepreneurship makes small project teams very successful. By working collaboratively in three-to-five-person project teams, employees develop best-in-class skills that are sought after by our peers. Our average project size is ideal for developing full-cycle project management skills in just a few short years. Entry-level engineers are given responsibilities early on in all aspects of selling, designing, and constructing projects to quickly develop skills and abilities that rival those of much more experienced project managers at other companies.
Employees find rewarding career opportunities at McShane. Many of our company leaders joined the company as interns or new grads and have spent their entire careers at McShane. The leaders of our Chicago and Auburn offices, for example, were two of our college hires entrusted with leadership roles in their 30s. And almost 20% of our employees have celebrated 10-year anniversaries with us.
McShane employees work in a beautiful, brand-new office space where everyone has stand-up/sit-down desks and free healthy snacks and fresh produce in the break room. The culture is vibrant, with a team-oriented energy for working and playing together. Our social committee, which is open to all employees, ensures there is always an opportunity to have fun and give back to our community.
What do our employees love?
- Summer hours! We close the office at 3:30 on Fridays between Memorial Day and Labor Day. We also close the office at 3:00 on the day before holidays.
- The company is very open to ideas from employees and implementing them. Even young employees are invited to participate in trade organization functions such as luncheons, banquets, golf outings, conventions, etc.
- Our holiday party! Last year it was at The Rookery, a Chicago icon. Spouses are invited, a block of hotel rooms are reserved, and everyone has a great time.
Other unique or creative programs
- Our employee-run social committee plans 10-12 social and philanthropic events throughout the year such as Whirlyball, Trivia Night, Happy Hour Bags tournament, Feed My Starving Children, Greater Chicago Food Depository, and O’Hare Plane Pull.
- Free healthy snacks and fresh produce in the lunch room
- Student loan assistance program